So, we’ve been going on about the new site for some time, and having finally released it, peole have rightly been asking for a new feature list. Well, here goes:
1.Chat: We added Group Chat in August, but that prompted a lot of people to ask whether we could build in a chat client to allow people to talk in real time on the site. A lot of time went into thinking about it, and implementing it, and it’s about 90% there at the moment.
You will see the chat window whenever you are logged in. You can also choose to have it minimised, docked and hidden, or popped out. The popped out state is best, as it just floats over the other windows, and even works when you have left mymission2.com
It also has:
a) Integration with MSN/GTalk/AOL/Yahoo and IRC: This means you can chat to your other friends direct from the site, and it’s very useful if you have popped out the box, as it works to bring all of your friends together, all day. If you look at meebo.com, it’s like that, with added missions!
b) Group chat: Wherever you are on the site, there is a chat group associated with it. Click the chat room button, and see what’s up
c) Invite a friend – You can send messages to those non Missioners on other networks like MSN and invite them to MM2!
d) Search for people – Type in “David Ashford” and then select “santa” if you want to add David as a friend
2. New left navigation: The left hand bar is now a mine of information, telling you not only what the new missions are, but also who has the most points this month, what the crazy missions are, all of the latest blog posts, the most popular categories (Education is number 2 at the moment), and the most popular chat rooms
3. Floaty missioner pictures: This is a bit of fun, using the CoolIris plugin. Log out, and go to the home page to see what I mean (there should be something at the bottom of the page)
4. Ratings: You can now rate missions from the detail page. Soon you will get extra points for that, so keep practicing
5. OpenID: This allows you to login in using, say, your Gmail account, or to link your current MM2 account to your Gmail account. Click on the “Clickpass” buttons
6. Address book: Now, when you e-mail your friends, we remember who you have e-mailed, and then pre-select them for you next time
7. Address import: Got e-mail addresses in Yahoo, Gmail or Hotmail. You can import them now
8. RSS feeds: If you want to monitor what missions are new (Generally, or by category) or what new responses there are on a mission, look for the little orange button in your browser
9. Twitter: For those of you who can see the point, you can follow new missions at http://twitter.com/mymission2
10. T-shirts: If you click on the handsome fellow on the browse mission detail page, we generate a mymission2 T-shirt for you, with your mission on – You can edit it for position and size. Buying one supports us by making more visible, and makes us a few pennies as well
11. Presence: See who’s online. If you see a green icon by a person’s name, they are online. Click the icon to invite them to chat
12. Identify the commissioner’s response: If you look at the browse mission detail page, you can see if the commissioner has reponded to their own mission. We’re not happy with the format of this yet
13. Improvements in page loading: We’ve done a lot of work on the back-end to make the pages load faster, especially those ones with lots of images (such as the browse list pages). We’re hoping to improve this yet further
14. There are more, many behind the scenes, some of which I can even remember having made!
Please test it a lot, and e-mail me at nigel (at) mymission2.com with any bugs